Skip to main content

Reply to "College Commits: Where was the Player 1st Seen, and How Often?"

2017 Position player

First "seen" by his college (the Asst. Coach/Recruiting Coordinator) at the PG Jr. National summer after Sophomore year.  He had been seen by them his freshman year as the school came to watch one of our Sr. HS pitchers (same AC/RC) who was committed to the school, but they weren't there to see my son, but he was a known prospect to them.

Son already had a couple of offers in hand prior to Jr. National.  After Jr. Nat, they recruited him in earnest and also had him visit campus that same summer where the HC took him on a tour.  At conclusion of that tour, we met with HC and he made the offer.  Son said he wasn't prepared to commit to any school at that time.  Coach asked son if they were in his top 3, stating if he was, he'd recruit him harder than anyone else would.  Son told him they were and the HC, AC/RC or PC was at every one of my son's games the remainder of that season.

Son continued to visit schools and consider offers.  He was actually very far down the recruiting path with one school in particular before his school got in the mix and his mom and I both thought for sure that's where he'd commit (they actually increased their current offer after the Jr. Nat), but at the end of that same summer, he committed to his current school.

So to your specific questions;

1. Where was the player first seen by the school he committed to? At HS, but not "really" until the PG Jr. National
  2. What time period in his HS career was he first seen?  i.e. freshman year, summer before Junior year etc?  After Sophomore year legitimately, although they were aware of him during Freshman year.
  3. How many additional times was a player seen by the coaching staff before getting an offer, and where? i.e. Headfirst, WWBA, college camp etc.  Before an offer, probably a dozen games.  After offer, they saw him a lot and everywhere, including tournaments in and out of our home state (he is at an out of state school).  Probably attended another 25 games between the offer and my son committing.  After the Jr. National showcase, all of them seeing him was live games, not showcases.
  4. How much of a role did the director or coach of his Travel Team have on helping his recruitment?  Both Travel and HS coach provided info on my son to the school.  The HS coach was already familiar because of the aforementioned player from his HS that played for this school.  The travel coach is well known and familiar to the college staff, so he also provided a lot of info to the HC.