Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Ball"

This fall son has pitched 19 innings with 6 hits, 1 walk, 14 Ks, and 1 earned run.  His outing against Xavier was 8 pitches on Sunday.  Lasted 2 minute and 38 seconds.  Groundout, flyout, strikeout.  They have pitched 25 guys so far this fall and most of them have gotten about the same number of innings, or close to it.  Son and a couple of others have more because they gave them 45 pitches last week and son pitched 3 innings in 31 pitches.  They used 15 guys in scrimmage against Clemson and 17 guys in scrimmage against Xavier.  Everybody got 1 inning except Friday guy who got 2 innings.  They have 2 more weeks of practice closing out with their world series so I would think son will have about 23-25 innings after fall.

I would think the number is closer to 12 pitchers per team in the spring.  I looked up UT stats for last year and 11 pitched 19 or more innings.  They pitched 14 guys total with at least 4 innings. 

I think there are some guys who know already they are getting cut or redshirted in the fall.  I think that is every team.  I'm sure there are some who will be blindsided but many of them are just not realistic with themselves.  There are some guys at most schools who have not played in a scrimmage and get very little time in innersquad.  If so, it should not surprise them to get cut or redshirt but some are just not realistic.  I sat beside some parents and their family who are not realistic.  Their son has not played in either scrimmage and is getting minor time in the innersquads as far as I know.  They were surprised when he did not get to play in the scrimmage.  One of them said I thought everybody got to play in scrimmages.  The dad replied he gets plenty of at bats every day and gets in the field.  I'm sure they are just saving him for the spring.  I wanted to say "wake up".  This is not little league.  His at bats are during bp and hit fielding is during practice.  The kid is either not realistic or is ashamed to tell the parents the truth.  They will be the ones who get blown away in a few weeks.  I wonder if son will tell them the truth after he meets with the coaches.