Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Ball"

Saw two of my son's intrasquad games over the weekend (of a best of three competitive games).  Pitchers who look to be the Starters in the Spring each went 4 innings, and likely bullpen guys went 2-3.  The projected new closer got to close out the 9th.  Freshman pitchers who might be contributors got 2-3 innings.  A few Freshman did not appear in any of the games, and I suspect they are going to be redshirts or cut.  A few pitchers with some lingering arm issues are in rehab and were walking around in shorts.

Fall ball is definitely for competition.  For the kids new to the program, they will find out fast that everything they do and how they act are being evaluated by the coaches.  There may be a few top studs who have nothing to worry about, but the strong programs are strong programs because they make sure every player buys in to the competition so they get better as players and teams.

The exhibition games are coming next weekend and the following one, and no doubt the coaches will continue to evaluate players against another level of outside competition.  The exhibition games and intrasquad games are good for the parents to observe, but my son reminds me there are so many things the team does in practice every day that we don't see that definitely impact the roster competition.  It is a daily grind to compete for spots and playing time, and Fall ball has a huge impact on who is on the Spring roster and gets a chance to play.