Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Baseball - 2017"

SluggerDad, thanks--some great info at that link!

Two things jump out at me:  One that the numbers are self-reported. That makes me think they may be inflated--most folks think they work more than they really do. (Not that athletes aren't busy people, but I teach at a non-flagship state university that has D1 athletics. The hours of academic work per week figures in this study seem VERY high, and I have no reason to think athletes in major D1 sports are any more studious than other college kids on average.). I wonder if the study and athletics hours reported are a little high?  Those with children playing sports in college please chime in. 

Second, it's scary to see D1 baseball players saying they miss an average of over 2 classes per week in season. A full academic load would typically be 5 or 6 semester classes, each of which meets twice per week (maybe three times for some courses).  If we assume 12 classes per week, players are missing close to 20% of their classes. VERY few of my students who miss one in five class sessions earn good grades. 

Also interesting that such a high percentage think they have a chance to go pro. That optimism is good in that it supports the drive to improve, but it's sort of like believing 90% of people are above average.