Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

My son was a 2019, so we have seen 2 years of college ball affected by so much more than baseball. I have watched numerous kids of different classes decide that the lifestyle required to play baseball was not for them. It is a grind that you have to love, while trying to figure out how to keep up with academics and other real life influences. I have seen high school studs being replaced on rosters by juco and transfer guys who have been promised a chance at somewhere different. College baseball is big business where high paid coaches have to figure out how to get positive results from 11.7 scholarships and results to keep their jobs when many of the high schoolers they bet on don’t develop, or someone decides they don’t deserve to develop. College baseball at the D1 level is brutal, and lots of kids face failure in sport for the first time ever. Politics plays a role, and as parents we learn we don’t have a vote. Fall is a time of change in most programs and some kids are just happier to move on also. My son is still where he started, but point of my post is that college baseball is a tough gig that a kid has to absolutely love or it will take a toll