Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

I know there are those who put a lot of it on the coaches but I'm not one of them.  I think they are who they are and you have to do your homework.  I wish more education of parents and players was the answer but my experience tells me it is not.  I know so many who cannot see the writing on the wall.  I see redshirt sophomores (3rd year players) who did not have success this fall who still think they can turn it around this spring and a small percentage might.  But most will sit the bench again this spring as they have the first two years.  I see parents who know there will be 50 players at their son's school who still believe that he can beat all odds and make the roster.  I see players who know they are the last guy on the fall roster and their numbers are not near the top guys but they think they can persevere.  So many believe that they the 1% who will overcome and a few are but the rest are the 99% that will waste a year.  Parents and players are not realistic when it comes to their dreams.  I know my son could have gone to a smaller school and been a starter but he wanted to compete with the best and got an opportunity to play on a CWS team.  But we were realistic on his expectations and if he had not competed his freshman and sophomore years he would have been somewhere else by now.