Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

So it is the coaches fault that the players are willing to come even when they know there will be 15 kids who will not make the roster limits.  I believe the coaches have some accountability but I also have talked to enough parents and players who knew what they were coming into.  They could have gone another direction but CHOSE to try to be the exception.  Most coaches do not cut players but they do tell them they will not play this spring and will have to work on certain things to earn a position.   So how is it the coaches' fault that a player does not make a team?  The recruiting cycle has become such a crazy world but it is still predictable.  I have watched several recruiting classes for the past 5 years and if parents and players are doing their due diligence they will know how many are coming in each year.  Not just the recruiting class of incoming freshmen but the transfers and juco kids by the time the fall starts.  But they come anyway because they believe they are the ones who can make it.  And you never know, they might be.  We were part of that group.  Son does not have the numbers to be a major part of an SEC/CWS team but he is and we were willing to take that chance.  If he had not made it, we would have gone a different path and I would not have blamed the coaches.  They gave him a chance to earn a spot which is their job.  A winning coach will never guarantee a kid a spot but give him an opportunity to earn a spot.