Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

@PABaseball posted:

No, but they tell you they want you and offer you money to come to their school instead of others TO play baseball, not to potentially play ball. They would not be offering money for the students to potentially come out for the team.

Coaches don't catch enough slack. I understand they have bills to pay and only get paid if they keep their jobs by winning and running a clean program. I have no issues with them taking on as many resources (players) as possible and getting down to a certain number. My issue lies within the fact that they are allowed to go over limitations and force kids out - kids who have turned down other options to uphold their end of the bargain.

My issue has more to do with the rules that allow this behavior, where it has become the norm. You can bring in however many you want and get rid of whoever. It allows coaches to get lazy and removes the vetting process from recruiting. Good coaches and talent evaluators will hit on most guys. Guys can play the numbers game and get lucky. The issue is there are kids who lose other opportunities because the staff at their school either did a poor job recruiting or a poor job developing.

This year there are ~12 schools that have more than 7 extra players over expected 2022 player limit (40).

From your perspective, how many players should the coach be allowed to bring in for the fall season?

With respects to athletic scholarship $$$, not all $$$ are equal (but we all understand).

Note, all $$$ are not equal, The $$$ provided will have different meaning based on the in-state vs out-of-state cost.

Casting a wide net has always been a issue regardless of the sport in question.