Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

While I think a lot of what Adbono said it true, I think there are degrees. Our new coach is still tough but not to the point where he is yelling in practice that he can’t wait to recruit on top of a kid or that a kid is a waste of a scholarship.  I saw last year that some programs give guys several opportunities even if they aren’t great at first. Example, Texas had some freshmen pitchers who were shaky at the beginning of the season but were well known elite players. The coach kept putting them out there and by mid season, they were killing it. Most coaches aren’t willing to stick with a kid and that’s why there were kids who could have been drafted out of us who ended up in the portal.  One kid got 8 at bats. Then didn’t play again. They worried they would Lise him in the draft and then gave him 8 chances. He went in the portal. Look at Chris Taylor or Alex Bergman…even pros struggle but there is not much room fir that when a coach’s paycheck is on the line. Not sure what the answer is because, like I said,, parents weren’t really willing to speak I’ll of our former coach until he was gone and during recruiting he portrayed himself much differently than he actually was.   We had a very “hard” hs coach which I guess prepared my kid a little.