Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

This year there are ~12 schools that have more than 7 extra players over expected 2022 player limit (40).

From your perspective, how many players should the coach be allowed to bring in for the fall season?

With respects to athletic scholarship $$$, not all $$$ are equal (but we all understand).

Note, all $$$ are not equal, The $$$ provided will have different meaning based on the in-state vs out-of-state cost.

Only 12 may have 7 over expected. But how many forced kids out to get below the threshold?

In my opinion it's not about the # of players, it's about the amount of money. I don't believe coaches should be out committing 14.0 scholarships to current/future players when only 11.7 are available. You need 2.3 scholarships cut annually. I have no problem with a coach taking a few more walk-ons and making cuts in that area, when there isn't money attached you know you're expendable. But I refuse to get behind the idea the scholarship players need to be cut because the coach is over budget.

Maybe this strikes a nerve with me because the kid's roommate was cut after hitting .260 in about 25 starts as a covid freshman. The coach sat him down and told him they were over budget and asked him to give up his money. When he said no they told him his power numbers weren't there and he wouldn't be welcome back this fall. In July.

But maybe I don't think it's fair for a kid to commit to a school where the coach tells him he wants him and he passes on other opportunities to find out his money was yanked before signing day. Or for a player to put two years into a program and find out he's not going to be welcome back in the fall. This allows coaches to get lazy with recruitment and vetting. You basically get a 1.5 year free trial to see if a kid pans out. You don't have to really work to develop him because if he's no good after a year you can force him out.