Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

This has been a very interesting and enlightening thread.  Lots of different parent perspectives.   

My son did not play for one of these cut throat D1s, but I know many that have.  My son's best friend played for a P5 powerhouse...CWS champions.   He came over our house during Xmas break freshmen year.   We had a very candid conversation about how things were done in his program, and what the consequences were for not performing.   He referred to it as the "dark underbelly" of the program.   He was not painting a pretty picture....a far cry from his recruiting experience where he was recruited as a high school sophomore by many D1 programs (and followed by pro scouts) in our area.  College baseball was a job 100% of the time to him versus my son's D1 experience where the coaches were forgiving if my son had labs or missed a day of practice for academic reasons.  I've shared what I've known  to those that have reached out to me.   These high-end D1 coaches have one thing on their mind and it is winning.   Everything else is peripheral.   You do not want to be in there way, or an obstacle to winning.   My son's best friend was a Fall cut as a college sophomore  but he went on to get his degree at the same school.  He had full ride D1 offers at other schools where he would have been a 4-year starter.  Opportunity lost.   He did not miss playing baseball at this school for one second.

If you don't understand or question any of this, then the top tier of D1 is not for you.  Know thyself....if you have no problem following orders and doing what you are told without reservation then this might be the right fit for you.  You have to bring "it" every day in practice and games because these coaches absolutely demand it.     If not, I suggest you look at other college baseball options.   There are plenty out there.

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth