Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Cuts"

@CoachB25 posted:

Am I missing something?  For my child, and granted it was collegiate softball, after the season, she had an exit interview where the coach laid out the next year and the monies that she would receive.  Also, this was for every sport at her university.  Therefore, are these players not receiving an exit interview where they are told what to expect the next year?  Are they showing up for school without money guaranteed in some form?

Many coaches do that, but not all.  Plus, even for those that do have an exit interview, there are some key differences between softball and baseball and two of the three can happen after the exit interview.

1. 11.7 baseball scholarships for up to 27 athletes (in a normal pre-COVID year), while D1 softball has 12 scholarships and I think it's fair to say that many D1 softball teams don't carry as many players.  You definitely don't use as many pitchers in softball.

2.  Unless I'm mistaken, I'm not aware that there's many summer softball leagues for college players where they may be seen by other coaches and coerced to change schools like happens in baseball.

3.  The MLB draft can change things up for a coach and consequently his team depending upon who is drafted, who signs and who doesn't, etc.  Softball may have a pro draft (I'm not sure), but it definitely doesn't have the impact on college softball as the MLB draft can have on D1 baseball teams.