Skip to main content

Reply to "College Fall Season - 2011"

I have not posted much since June. June was a real disappointment in our home. It was amazing how teams can build up expectations, and how crushing it can feel when all you are left with is a sense of discouragement.

This will be my guys final collegiate season. Fall practices have begun in earnest now, hitting in cages, loosening up the arm and getting ready for a new spring season.

Coach did not want them throwing much before last week, and my son has said that he can tell he has been shut down as he reawakens his arm. Although he stopped playing the end of July, prior to that he played every inning of every game, so I don't imagine the downtime will have a lasting impact in any negative way.

Fortunately for us my son plays about 80 miles away, so once they begin scrimmages we will probably head down and catch a few of those. I always try to get there early enough to watch them warm up on the infield and take BP. This season I will do likewise and try to savor every moment.

Spring will be right around the corner here in Florida. I believe our season begins at the end of January.

One thing that had my son excited was the possibility of playing the Yankees early in our season. Unfortunately it appears that the only opportunity for that would occur just before we begin our conference games. Coach is not sure he can afford to use our pitchers in a practice game so close to our season begining.

We shall see! And as everyone out there who has been through this knows, but those who are just begining or in the middle of this experience may not know: Enjoy the ride, it goes by faster than any of you could possibly want.