Skip to main content

Reply to "College football player loses scholarship over YouTube videos ... sues NCAA"

I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of the NCAA BUT this sounds like another kid who doesn't want to follow the rules.

1. They asked him to stop

2. They gave him a waiver that he could still make videos, just not football videos

3. They said choose between the football videos or your scholarship...he chose to do the videos.

Now he's not on the team and can't do the football videos anyway, so um, what was the point?

The NCAA doesn't want college amateur players to profit from their sport.  That is pretty much the definition of an amateur athlete. They have to make this a zero tolerance policy because the small cracks that seem harmless can and will open up a floodgate. What harm is there is charging for autographs?  How about an Autograph with a Nike Jersey that they are paid to wear?  How about the "amateur" athlete gets a 200K car for wearing the Nike Jersey and signing the autograph? And on and on until it's which school can bribe the kid more to come there.  That isn't an even playing field now and SUPPOSEDLY that is one of the main goals of the NCAA to make things fair and even across the academic universities.

I have to say, I'm with the NCAA on this one.  People have to follow the rules, even you kid.