Skip to main content

Reply to "College Football Playoff 2014"

Originally Posted by Go44dad:
Originally Posted by RJM:

I saw an article before this weekend's games stating if TCU is in and Ohio State isn't, one of the bowl games cities will lose significant money especially if it's the Sugar Bowl. It talked about Ohio State's large alumni base and it's willingness to travel anywhere to a game versus TCU people would travel to New Orleans for an overnight. Always follow the money trail.

Nope.  Writers love controversy, it's easier than having your own insights.  You think a national semi-final played in the Sugar Bowl or Rose Bowl would struggle to sell out? Ohio State is in b/c the selection committee thought they were the fourth best team. And I'm from Texas and grew up SW conference / Big 12.  Big 12 got the message.  Expect two more teams to get to 12, and a conference championship very soon.

I didn't question a thing about the game selling out. The point is Ohio state has an enormous alumni base with a reputation for traveling and making a vacation out of bowl trips. TCU is a much smaller school with a much smaller alumni base. To play in the Sugar Bowl would be an overnight trip for TCU fans. The city of New Orleans gains significantly by Ohio State being the selection.

LA and San Diego used to hope they wouldn't get Iowa in the Rose or Holiday Bowl. The joke was Iowans bring a $20 bill and don't change it or their underwear. However the dead giveaway who they were was the shorts with black socks and shoes on the boardwalk.