Skip to main content

Reply to "College of Charleston supports baseball coach after profanity-laced team meeting"

@mjd-dad posted:

just read this ... and wondering how I should feel about it.
Wondering what others on this forum think of it.

CofC ‘supports’ baseball coach Chad Holbrook after review of profanity-laced team meeting

Does this type of program news attract HS recruits or deter HS recruits?
Does this type of leadership work to inspire today's players to play better?
Did this school have a higher number of players enter the transfer portal?

Based solely on the read, my thoughts...

The coach recognized early in the season he had some malcontents in the ranks, believed it was partly to blame for the bad stretch and it needed to be nipped if they were to move forward successfully and if he were to maintain proper control of the team.  He made sure the team was acutely aware and appealed to the character of the majority to handle things internally.  Based on the results, one would have to draw the conclusion that he was largely successful in his efforts.

Yeah, language was used.  That is still very much part of the culture in college baseball.  If that offends, you need to seek out the minority of programs that profess not too.  I don't say that to defend or offend... just stating reality.

Your questions seemed to have a certain inference.  So, in the spirit of good debate, i'll answer this way...

1. - a winning program with a confident and successful coach will attract recruits.  2. - yes, appealing to a player's character can inspire him to play better.  There's lots of ways to do so and it ain't always with honey.  In this case, it was a collective appeal and that can be even more important.   3. - The coach is clearly suggesting that four or five players find another school so...

Last edited by cabbagedad