Skip to main content

Reply to "College One Day Camps?"

One of the first camps we went to, they cancelled the scrimmage as they didn’t have enough kids (had over 50, so I never understood their reasoning).  I went up to the assistant coach and gave him a lot of flack.  He reasoned that a BP was valuable to him, but I didn’t agree.  I threatened asking for my money back, but ended up staying.  Son did well, they followed up, but it was an icy relationship for several months.  I’d like to think I grew from that, with the help from this site.

Every other camp was like you said.  PO sitting around for hours, waiting for the scrimmage.  If PO you usually get 2 innings, with 2-ways getting only 1.  It’s tough for PO, and a very long day, but many HC complimented them knowing it was tough to perform.

Though the above sounds negative, I’m a fan (in the minority) of camps and really the only avenue we took with our son to get recruited.  Yes, they are a money grab, but if the right fit for your son and you do the necessary prework (reach out to coach, let them know you’re coming, send videos, measurables, etc), they could pay off.

Good luck!