Skip to main content

Reply to "College One Day Camps?"

nycdad posted:

IMO you shouldn't go to a camp unless they know you're coming, meaning they have an interest in you (other than a generic camp invite) and/or your HS/Travel coach has some kind of relationship with the coach.

This has come up several times and is something I've tried to implement with these camps. My son has been pretty good about reaching out to them with some minimal prompting. This has created some slight relationships, but not what I would call "interest."

I have tried to get his travel coach to reach out to teams with no noticeable success. Either he's lazy or doesn't want to stake his credibility on vouching for my son. The first is inexcusable, the second - well, he just ought to tell me.  The one that sticks in my craw the most is a camp where we signed up late and got wait listed. Our travel team coach and the RC at the school running the camp had been assistant coaches at the same university, though at different times. I asked him to reach out to the RC and see if he could get us off the wait list. I gave our coach all the info he asked for but nothing happened.  We're actually going to that school soon - we caught a later camp. Guess I ought to ask our coach if he ever heard anything.