Skip to main content

Reply to "College One Day Camps?"

baseballhs posted:

So I’ll play devils advocate to that thinking that you should never just go unknown. My sons travel coach had been burned by recommending a kid so he was gun shy to make calls. Two of my son’s top schools were Vanderbilt and LSU. Our coach believed they were everyone’s top schools and everyone needs to be more realistic. Our team was basically unknown and a bunch of friends playing together, those coaches would never see him.  To be seen, we went to both camps unknown and left with tours and weekly calls to coaches.  Not everyone’s recruiting plan can be the same. You have to understand if you have a chance and if you do, what is your plan to get the coaches to see you?  

Not sure if your closing question was actual or more rhetorical, but either way it is a good one. What was the quote - "a failure to plan is a plan for failure"?  My initial thought was "show up and pitch well?" but I realize we've done more than that, and this message board preaches that generally that just isn't enough. He has made email contact with the coaches at the school's he's serious about and we think has a better than "snowball's chance in hell" chance at competing for a slot on the team (in other words, not Arizona, Arizona State or Kentucky, though he has gotten into those schools).  He has sent video and linked to his showcase pages.  He has heard back from all three schools that we are seriously targeting right now, with personal but surely "pro forma" invitations to school camps coming up. He's followed up with the coaches in some cases, For instance, there is a pitcher on the team at the next college camp that is from our area and pitches for one of our HS rivals. We don't know the kid, but my son asked if he was going to be at the camp and if he could speak with him about what it is like to be a pitcher in college and specifically at that school.

He went to San Jose State completely blind, just signed up, paid and went - it was cheap, it was local and we weren't particularly invested in that school so it seemed like a good one to go to and get his feet wet. It was a strong motivator to lay the groundwork ahead of time for the school's he's truly interested in schools. He'll look at all the school videos on Youtube and have some good questions ready for any coaches or players he may have the chance to talk to. We'll roleplay some questions and answers Any other ideas?