Skip to main content

Reply to "College One Day Camps?"

Francis7 posted:
PABaseball posted:

The price doesn't change because you're personally invited

Thanks. I had once heard that some kids are invited to camps free of charge. Is that untrue?  For example, anyone can sign up for an advertised camp that's charging $75. You don't need an invitation. That said, a recruiting coach can say "We would like to have you come down to our camp, it's only $75" or they can say "We're having a camp and would like you to attend" and they never mention any cost requirement. Is it just conventional wisdom to assume that them making you pay means that they are not that interested in you?

We were personally invited to the one day prospect camp for the school my son committed too.   That was from a school that first watched my son play on at two summer tournaments and at headfirst.  When the invite came we were pretty certain they had real interest but we paid for the camp.  At the end of the camp the HC personally came to speak to us in the parking lot and we were quite certain at that point but we still got invited to tour the facilities etc before the formal offer came.   There were close to 100 kids at this camp too.  I would say the advantage of a personal invite over replying to a blast notification is that you are on their radar.  That's what is most important, not the dough.   I would add the only reason this school knew about my son was because we targeted them, my son emailed them, we got on their list of someone to at least take a look.  It takes real work on the front end if you are not a top end D1 candidate.