Skip to main content

Reply to "College Pitcher 2-seam vs 4-seam fastball"

I can give you a number of reasons why I think you should NOT go where you are going.

1. I don’t think a player should allow the draft to modify how he plays his game.

2. A parent should be their son’s biggest fan and support their efforts and not be an assistant coach.

3. Trying to figure out the draft is impossible in itself but to think you can influence that mystical process by simply changing the grip on a fastball is --- a very long shot.

4. Unlike the college selection process, you need to ALLOW the draft to happen and not try to MAKE it happen.

5. While I applaud your son for having a plan “B” your plan “A” should be to take pictures, clip newspaper articles, and enjoy the moment instead of focusing on whether your son’s two seam fastball is good enough to get him into professional baseball.

I apologize for being harsh to you because it is quite obvious that you, like me and every other parent wants their son to move on to the next level of baseball. But after many years of following my son as he moves on through the “next levels” it become evident that the “next levels” will always be there and they will ultimately win. When he hits that one level that he cannot conquer, I don’t want to blame a batting average or the velocity of his fastball or the poptime on his throwdowns to second base. I don't want him to end his career with that "If only" hanging over his head. I don’t want to “blame” anything. I just want to thank him for the best years of my life.
Fungo