Skip to main content

Reply to "College Pitcher 2-seam vs 4-seam fastball"

Thank you for all of the answers already. I like your honesty & it doesn't sound harsh. Where else could a mom ask a baseball question and get helpful answers right away from 5 people including a few whose sons play professionally?

I thought that a college pitcher would have to hit 90 or scouts would ignore him. The two things "baseball" people comment about are his build (he looks like a pro pitcher minus about 30 pounds) and the movement on his fastball.

The part about scouts not caring if a pitcher can get the batters out in D3 is interesting. There are some short stocky pitchers on his team (older) who get outs more reliably in conference D3 games. My son has been up and down (really good or really bad) but he got to start against the 2 bigger schools they played in non-conference and did well. We noticed after this draft that he pitched against two hitters who were drafted and they had a .000 batting average against him.

I was just curious & talk is cheap. He is not worrying about what might happen in a few years but working on getting stronger & better and being the best pitcher on his team next year. We only talked about the draft for a few minutes because of the players he pitched against who just got drafted. He probably won't think about it again for many months & probably wouldn't sign if he got drafted in a late round after junior year because he loves his team and wants a degree.

~~~~~Ann
Last edited by MN-Mom