Skip to main content

Reply to "College Pitcher 2-seam vs 4-seam fastball"

There are a lot a right handed pitchers who get drafted and who do not throw 90. On the other hand, there aren't too many righties who get drafted who are below 87. Scouts regularly told my son's college coach that a very good DIII right handed pitcher, and I mean very good, would have to be 87.
I was just reading a message board this morning about a righty playing with Fungo's son who is having a very nice season in the MWL and he is 87-88 mph. With your son being 6'4" and currently at 87-88, he has enough size and velocity to get looks.
If your son has talked about the draft, it is likely something he wants. Having him work hard, develop all his pitches and get stronger and better is exactly the support he needs.
The main point I would make is he should not adjust his approach to pitching based on the presence or absence of scouts. At a DIII, you almost always know when a scout is there. As hard as it sounds, and as much as he might want to ultimately get drafted and have the chance to play professionally, that cannot be the reason he makes choices of how he pitches in game situations, IMO.