Skip to main content

Reply to "College Pitcher 2-seam vs 4-seam fastball"

quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:
We should take a poll: How many 6'4" college RHP's wondering what it would take to get drafted? Big Grin (Bizazz, mine is also a 6'4" rising junior.)

I'm surprised at infielddad's reply saying that high 80s college RHP's are sometimes drafted, though I know he DOES know what he is talking about. But I would have thought 90 mph was a prerequisite, along with a lot of other factors.

Unless you are 95+++, getting drafted is not all about the Stalker.

I'll offer a little anecdotal evidence. My sons RHP college teammate was drafted 10th round Jr and 11th round Sr. year, when he turned pro. He is 6-1 170#. I sat behind the gun this summer watching him throw a near shutout in high A with the Lakeland Tigers. He was 84-87 topping at 89 that night. He keeps the ball down, moves it and his crooked stuff is very good, slider change. He pitched 155 innings and perhaps he is the exception, but he is there, doing well and thinks he will start at AA this year. Coach told his momma he will throw harder "when he gets an a$$". (fills out with man muscles) Smile

Fungo, he is a teammate of Clete Thomas, Josh's Aurburn Teammate.

Last June the Cajun Sunday starter got drafted by Oakland in the 11th round. He is 6-2 180# and works 88-90, but without the control or stuff of the Tiger prospect, since he didn't pitch till he got to college, but throws 3 pitches for strikes.

If the kid is 6-4, skinny, works in the high 80's and can "pitch", I would think he would get an opportunity. That said, justamom2 has gotten good advice. My son has learned and forgotton more about playing baseball well, than I could ever hope know, because of experience. Me telling him how to play now is like me telling Fungo how to write. Smile

Players develop and hone instincts how to play well, playing well being the goal. Manipulating your game to a goal other than playing well will result in not playing well, which I have seen college pitchers try to do. Scouts know this, especially if they have seen you play well before you try to impress them. It won't usually effect draft status but will hurt the team.

I have also seen college pitchers in the 90's not get drafted because the secondary pitches were either mediocre or they only had two pitches.

Pitchers need 3 pitches to play well. Scouts know pitchers need 3 pitches.

Instead of trying to pitch to the gun, I would hope a pitcher would make sure he had 3 good pitches he threw for strikes, so he could play well.

I remember a very successful scout saying he used the gun the first inning and then later in the game, but mostly he wanted to see if the kid could pitch.

As baseballtoday says, show it once or twice, then play the game, and play to win.
Last edited by Dad04