Skip to main content

Reply to "College Pitcher, Fall Baseball over."

I recall my son's freshmen Fall season the coaches had a point system for intrasquad games.   My son did very well to everyone's surprise he had the most points when the Fall season ended.  But it didn't really matter.   He was not selected on the 25 player travel team for the first Spring series in March.   To say he was pissed, would be an extreme understatement.   The team lost all 4 games and got kicked to the curb by a comparable D1 mid-major.   My son was selected for the travel team in the next series.   He made his first college appearance against then #1 UVA and pitched well in mop up duty.   The next series he moved up in the rotation, and was given more meaningful innings.  By the time conference games started a few weeks later he had earned the coaches trust and became their 4th weekend starter in a weekend doubleheader format.   My point is that freshmen start below whale sh*t.  You have to make the most of every opportunity and be ready at all times.   Coaches want results and they want to see how you handle yourself at all times especially for freshmen.

100% agree with CTBaseballDad.  By the time they are in college they either have "it", don't have "it" or have lost "it" and need to find "it".  It is all up to them to figure it out.   When my son was disappointed he didn't get selected for the first series as a freshmen I knew there wasn't much I could say or do.   As a parent that part is difficult but that is why he is in college....to figure it out.

As always, JMO.