Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitchers and travel"

nycdad posted:

How is this usually handled? I'm guessing a lot has to do with the coach but for example are weekend starters always making the weekday game trips? If it's clear a pitcher isn't going to pitch in the weekday game(s) are they usually going?

This is one of the issues that always bugged me about college baseball.  My son played in the ACC, 2008-2012.  The general rule at his school was that all 35 traveled to pretty much everything UNLESS it was a conference game.  As I recall, ACC rules capped the travel roster at 27.  So, if there was a mid-week game EVERYONE traveled, even the Friday/Saturday/Sunday starters who were never going to pitch in a mid-week game.  Yeah, most of the mid-week games were within a two hour drive.  But, if you had a game at Western Carolina (or SC or UGA) you might leave at noon or 1:00 and get back well after midnight.  

You would have the same, or worse scenario, with mid-week starters having to travel on the weekends.  No way in heck was a mid-week starter gonna pitch on the weekend, but they still had to get on the bus at 10:00 Thursday morning, make the ride to Boston or Tallahassee or wherever, and make it back at 2:00 a.m. Monday morning.  

Depending on your son's intended major, this may not be a big deal.  Heck, it may even be a selling point for some.  But, if he's considering any sort of STEM degree, it makes it tough. 

Bottom line, at some programs you're an athlete first, then a student.