Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

@hokieone posted:

TPM's son is an extrordinarily good pitching coach. He coached the pitchers for our Valley League team one summer and was the best we've ever had. He not only worked individually with our pitchers on techniques, he scouted upcoming opponents with an eye towards how each batter should be pitched, he let pitchers know when they would be throwing in games (short relief  or long, early in games or late, a long guy ready if our starter blows up, who is closing, etc.) so they could get their work in, and he met with our pitchers before games to discuss how we were going to pitch to certain batters.  We won the league title and he was a huge part of our success.  Ever since then, when we look for pitching coaches, we have him in mind as a model, and have actually suggested/required our pitching coaches to follow his mold.   This is what good pitching coaches do.

Thank you Jay. What you described is basically what he does and what good pitching coaches do. This is a good  question to ask the coaches who are recruiting your player how does he prepare the staff, same question to the hitting and catching coach! I sound like Bob  (that's a compliment).

I remember my phone call to you asking if anyone needed a pcoach for that summer. Perfect timing! That whole experience lead to his first job!

Hope that all is well!

B