Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

@fishnsail posted:

thank you for the reply's everyone!
I posted this for others(parents and players) who maybe are in the recruiting process or thinking about making a move...

research and  interview the PC.  find out if you click and if it is a "match"

so far our 3 pitching coaches :  none has "taught" or really given any mechanical advice at all.. not once.
it is kind of odd...

all are nice guys though..
I think that this maybe 80 % of the D1 situations.

have to figure stuff from other sources.

Hitting and pitching coaches aren't just doing practice stuff like mechanics, physical training and so on but are also involved in game planning, strategy and maybe even some scouting.

I don't know much about the pitching side but I know some older mlb hitting coaches do some quite outdated cueing when it comes to mechanics but pro hitters still enjoy working with them because they prepare them really well for the next game and pitcher.

For example there is a video of Kevin long having hitters smash balls straight down into the ground with the knob of the bat.

Many guys in the social media would rip him for that and personally I would likely not teach that drill but long is still very respected by many hitters and often his teams where among the lowest in ground ball rate in the league despite such cues.

At higher levels those coaches often work more on approach and game planning than doing a lot of mechanical overhauling.

Of course there are also successful coaches that are very hands on, in the end a coach is still not judged by his process but mostly by his results, even though that has shifted some with some teams.

Last edited by Dominik85