Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

It is a weird situation..

just a thought..  if any of your kids eventually become a pitching coach ..

and you want to give them some advice..

be different.

first thing to do is to coach/teach/develop

the rest is logistical...”

Fishnsail…

excellent topic you bring up. I’m 💯 in agreement with you. My son played in juco and at two D1 schools and none of the pitching coaches did anything in regards to coaching of players. Their mindset was either 1) if you aren’t good enough coming in then we’ll just upgrade you in the portal 2) either do it exactly my way or you’ll be sent to the back of the line (the end of the 25-man pitching roster).

They did nothing with video. Were masters of PFP work. Seemed like their whole job was holding runners, pfp & dialing the phone all day long in the hopes of finding as many arms throwing over 90.

One of the team’s my son played for completely turned over his own recruiting class 💯 in just two years before being fired. Oddly, the school kept the pitching coach. Our experience with college baseball has left a really bad taste. Between enormous rosters due in part to the ridiculous covid eligibility to semester to semester pulling of scholarships and incessant hyper recruiting 24x7…we left the scene wondering why so much investment was made all those years ago