Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

@PitchingFan posted:

I'm gonna call this.  It seems that the ones who have went to and stayed at D1 schools have good experiences and like most situations, the ones that are not the front line pitchers have had bad experiences.  I find the same with hitting coaches and head coaches.  When your son has a good experience, you seem to think the coaches are good and when you get "shafted" you think the coaches are idiots.  Is that a fair statement?

I think that this is generally true and simple math will support that it is. If you have a 40 man roster only about half see regular playing time - 10 pitchers & 10 position players. So half of every active college roster is not happy - more or less. Now consider all the players that are in the transfer portal. All of them are unhappy, with a few NIL exceptions. That tips the scales to the point of more players being unhappy than players being happy. Which I believe is the reason you hear so many bad stories. It’s a greater probability that you will hear a bad story. I know that this is over-simplified but nonetheless true IMO.