Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

@PitchingFan posted:

I have also had a son who lost 5 miles an hour in college, and lost MLB interest and the love of the game as a player because of a pitching coach, who was eventually fired, and not in the game anymore.  He pitched either starter or major closer every weekend   So I have seen both sides but just know most who think the coach is bad don’t get to play.

I can appreciate that as you know that side of the coin. and it isn't fun.. I am sorry for your other son's experience. and wish he could have a do over..

best wishes for him and your current son.

But as far as the PC's-  I am speaking in overall terms.

not about Daddy or Mommy ball..

not whether "my kid or that kid " plays or not... that wouldn't affect my viewpoint

Many/most PC's , from what I have heard and seen from many.. do not delve into the mechanical nature of a pitchers delivery.
which maybe should be the #1 or #2  job description??
don't care if kid is the first overall pic or last guy on the totem pole or someone's retread..  don't care if he pitches 80 innings or 1 inning..  or wins the CWS or is on some low D1 hellfire somewhere..

A PC should be a problem solver and know when to step in and try to fix..but equally know when to not touch..
and if you do not have the ability to help and improve a pitcher (mechanically , intellectually and emotionally)
then you should not be a PC...

Last edited by fishnsail