Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

I think as in about anything, you can’t apply your experience to be the standard.  When we are done, I could share some examples of lots of everyday starters who would not describe their experience as good.  

When you say they don’t have time to rebuild a guy…I wish they wouldn’t. Recruit guys you like. We’ve had multiple guys turned into side arm guys.  When things went south, the parents said they were basically told to figure it out.Hard to do when you’ve never thrown that way before and now your arm hurts). My son spent his entire first semester doing only weighted balls to change his arm path. Never even threw a pitch in fall until the last week. That was never mentioned during recruiting and did not make him better. He showed up at campus pretty dang good. Tweaking I think is fine, if you then evaluate the tweaks.  We have  quite a few guys that showed up on campus very good (by a pretty big consensus) who have regressed. And we have a pitching coach who is by many accounts “one of the best in the nation”.  We never even considered asking if they planned to change his delivery. Hindsight.

Bottom line, there are good coaches, mediocre coaches and bad coaches.  A good coach can mean different things to different people. Maybe a coach that adds a tweak that makes a big difference, maybe instilling confidence, maybe leaving a kid alone, maybe it’s building a positive culture. I guess you have to know what you need from a coach.