Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaches...what do they actually do?"

This led me to think because that might be the problem.  What constitutes a good coach?  Watched the Mississippi State pitching coach get fired this week and wondered ultimately why?  Was he the sacrificial lamb?  Was it stats?  Was it wins and losses?

What determines for you if a coach is successful?  Pitching coach?  wins and losses, team era, guys getting drafted, guys staying?  Hitting coach?  wins and losses, batting average, guys getting drafted, guys leaving or staying?  Head coach?

I'm sure our definitions of successful coaches, pitching, hitting or head coach are different.  How we decide what makes one successful, what factors we use, what is success and failure.  I realized this recently when we had a discussion of successful teams or top teams.  To me the top 20-30 teams in college baseball are the top teams but that was different for many others.  Some it was top 100 teams were top teams.  Your thoughts?  Because that may be the problem with answering what is a good pitching coach.