Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaching"

quote:
Originally posted by Goosegg:
Expanding on the topic: How do you know what is a good pitching coach? What separates a great one from the rest of the pack? (For example, some of the college pc's i know, have philosophies that are specifically designed for metal bat play -- they tend to focus on the outside of the plate -- and dont really throw inside (essentially conceding the inside to the batter). (Before anyone goes on to say that that approach is a losing one, the program is a d1 power which has been very successful -- especially for a private school.)

Good topic.
Huge reason son went out of state was to work with Kevin O'Sullivan, who I really didn't know much about until we began our homework. It was a good choice, not only did he work consistantly on refining son's mechanics, he prepared him for the college game as well as for the professional game.

I realize that not everyone has the opportunity to work under such a knowledgeable coach, but for a player who will be pitcher only who wishes to reach the next level, this is very important in the consideration of where you might want to spend your next 3-4 years, you do not need to work under an A+ pitching coach but you need to watch for pitcher abuse and know that the pitching coach is minding the pitchers, who knows them better than anyone. In 3 years he was only allowed once to pitch a complete game, but most likely could have had more. That's the way he manages his pitchers and that's important for later on, JMO. Unfortunetly son has had some issues, but it is not from overuse.

My son has a friend in his organization that was a first rounder, attended Baylor and he was the workhorse during their run for Omaha that year (also his draft year in 2005 hitting close to 100mph). He has had 3 operations since being drafted and possibly never play the game again.

BHD,
I am not sure where you get the fact that most college p coaches are not paid. Not sure if you can blame your son's injury on the program he attended and 4 different p coaches, he didn't throw enough innings to consider overuse. And it is every pitchers responsibility to tell their coaches or managers that they are hurt. You don't lose your scholarship over injury, you can lose it by just not getting the job done and if you are hurt and hide it, you only see more bench time than playing time. I also have to tell you that the coaches and medical staff at son's college were just as attentive if not more than in pro ball. In college you have an issue you are off to the doctor that day, or next, in milb, you have to wait for the organization to decide what they want to do, and this can take time.
Last edited by TPM