Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaching"

Yes woody, my son's HC had redeeming qualities. He was a very good recruiter. The JR year P coach had non. He also was generally hated by all the pitchers.. The soph year P coach was a nice guy but admitted he knew very little about pitching. He did try hard to get up to speed and he was well liked.
The freshman P coach was a great P coach. Ran a pitching clinic and had Tom House attend. The SR year PC I think will be good. He also runs a P clinic and hopefully will get things on track
Where P coaches are very important is that they have to recognize mechanical break down. All pitcher have a tendency to stray as do hitters. Pitchers can develop problems which is what happened to my son. He started to drop his elbow down and was separating his arm from his upper body as he tried to leverage more velocity. He went from being a very good pitcher to a terrible pitcher. I corrected the mechanics the summer before his SR year and for a couple weeks he was back on his game but gradually drifted back to some of the issues.
If you look at this link you will see how little if anything assistant coaches are paid if anything at all. Yes there are good P coaches out there but how do you ensure that they will be there for 4 years while your son attends.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/In...393a32333a333520414d