Skip to main content

Reply to "College pitching coaching"

I know plenty of players that went to top programs, didn't feel that they were getting what they should in instruction(pitching or hitting) and sought out instruction during the off season, instead of laying blame that they didn't do well because of the coaching staff. Don't some of you do that now for your younger players? You may like the coach a lot, but you may feel that instruction is lacking, so you seek pitching or hitting lessons elsewhere, that doesn't change in college and it doesn't change on the pro level either. It is also the responsibility during recruiting to understand the pitching philosophy of the coach. My son's p coach is a young guy (even younger back then), but his philosophy falls under traditional mechanics. Not sure if you all know of a first rounder who worked under a well known pitching coach, he didn't care for his philosophy or his attitude. I am sure that many of you whose sons have been to college will tell you that they may not have liked every coach they had, but that doesn't mean that you lay blame for business you should have taken care of yourself.

It's gonna be hit or miss wherever you go, and understand that at most programs, there IS a designated paid hitting coach and pitching coach and HC allow them to do their jobs without interference. Some HC are just figure heads that are too busy for instruction, others are their own hitting and pitching coaches, this is where one has to do their homework and who the player will work under. I still don't get the comment about most pitching coaches not getting paid. That may be true in some cases where programs are almost broke.

I can't stand it when people lay blame on coaches, there are alternatives.