Skip to main content

Reply to "College questions"

I can tell you what the top teams look like.  We played Vandy this week and it was incredible to watch.  Their leadoff hitter is almost unstoppable to keep from stealing bases.  The power between the two teams was incredible.  98 mph looked like 88 because it became so frequent.  But it made 88 look like 78.  The speed on both teams was crazy.  We hit Leiter which is no easy feat.  Actually had a true walk-on for us hit 3 Hr's on Saturday, with 2 being against Leiter, for the second time this season as he also did it in one game against LSU.

I think there are players at every level of baseball that can make it to MLB but I also realized this weekend that playing at the highest level in college makes it an easier job deciding for the scouts.  If a guy can hit HR's against probably the most elite pitcher in college baseball and the flamethrowing closer for Vandy he can hit against anyone.  But I think the lower level of college, especially for hitters but also for pitchers, takes a little more scouting knowledge.  if you can hit or pitch successfully in the SEC or other top conferences you can hit or pitch in the pros.  Hitting and pitching at the lower levels takes a lot more understanding of swing mechanics and pitchability for scouts.  But there are guys who have done it.