Skip to main content

Reply to "College Recruiting"

Peach49 posted:

Thanks for your input. Having been a 2 sport athlete in college I realize the tremendous commitment it takes to be a successful athlete and actually graduate on time. The top 2 schools on his list are UC Santa Barbara and Sonoma State. Both schools have shown interest, but Sonoma is closer to home.

Santa Barbara already has 5 2021 commits, 3 of which are position players. Sonoma is an average D2 program with no commits as of right now. Nothing wrong with that, but the lack of interest from other schools would imply that he is more likely a candidate for D2 baseball as their recruiting timeline starts later and will be heavy this summer.

In other words there might be more interested schools, but they will do the bulk of their recruiting from June to August. So if he's been tearing up high school and summer tournaments and has former pro/college coaches all signs would point towards him being identified already as more of a D2, D3, Juco type guy. Again, nothing wrong with that, but everyone is a D1 prospect when you're paying to train and play somewhere. 

The best course of action is to sit down with travel coach, hand him a list and say I want to play here - which schools can I play at on this list? Get the feedback and then talk about how you get in front of those schools and what they can do on their end to help. And remember exit velo means nothing if you can't crush 85+ on a regular basis. High schools stats mean nothing.