Skip to main content

Reply to "College Recruiting"

Peach49 posted:

Thanks for your insight. The best aspect of my grandsons game is his hitting. In this original thread I posted video of his Exit Velocity of 101mph taken at the DUB baseball training center in Morgan Hill (he did 103 the same day but not on video). The best he’s done at a Showcase is 97 at the 2019 BAWS in Lathrop, CA. He also did 98mph while hitting for Coach Goelz at Sonoma State. My grandson likes Sonoma State and they appear to have some interest in him. He’s working hard to have a successful Junior Year HS Baseball season and hopefully that plus a good Summer Showcase season will give him some options of where he’ll be able to play college baseball.

Your OP asks "advise best course of action to peak interest from MLB and college scouts." Getting those metrics recorded by reputable and well known sources is part of the answer. The other part is contacting coaches so they can come see you play  and another part is performing well at games when those coaches you've contacted specifically come to see you play. Sometimes playing well in the ONE game they come to see you play doesn't work out; baseball is a game of failure. Unfortunately, most college coaches are results-oriented even though they pride themselves in their ability to "spot talent." So you need to communicate with many coaches who represent schools from multiple levels (D1, D2, D3, etc.).

PBR qualifies as a reputable and well-known source for verifiable metrics. Your grandsons metrics on PBR seem to be taken right from the 2019 BAWS (https://www.bayareaworldseries.com/baws2019stats) The highest exit velo for the event is 95 (BBCOR off tee).

I'm not saying he doesn't have the stats you reported in your OP; I'm just saying they are not recorded anywhere other than the 101 in the video. The problem with stats from  single video at an individual training academy is it doesn't show how peers performed at the same time using the same equipment; that's what both PG and PBR are known to provide. I think PG is a little bit better as they have more of a nationally-standardized testing format vs. individual franchises sanctioned by PBR.

So with that being said, I personally think your grandson has a LOT of potential; tell him too keep working hard and to contact those coaches! With the right exposure he should get plenty of attention this summer!