Skip to main content

Reply to "College Recruiting Advisers - Good and Bad Experiences"

My 2018 worked with what I would call an ADVISOR rather than a RECRUITER.

Since neither my husband or I had any experience with any athletic recruiting it seemed worthwhile. The advisor called us after he spoke at an event we attended and saw my son throw his freshman year. We paid a flat fee son's freshman year and continue to talk to them now that he's in college from time to time. And it was less than attending a PG tournament.

They helped us shoot his video and offered direction on how to do future videos. They helped him write his initial emails to coaches, offered suggestions on where to send it, put together a web site for him where we could post video, photos, transcripts, etc. I know from the analytics that coaches did go look at his stuff from time to time.

They also helped son identify colleges he was interested in. When we had questions about a specific tournament or what to say to a coach or whether to attend a specific camp, they offered advice.  Even now, son reaches out from time to time about questions he has about baseball in general.

I feel like they offered us tools and information on how to think about the recruiting process, and then were a comforting word on the phone when offers came in and we were trying to decide whether to jump or to hold out for the dream school (which we did).

In only one case did they talk to a coach on my son's behalf and I think they had a relationship with the coach and thought my son would be a good fit.

It was a good experience for us and I feel like we got our money's worth, but based on what others say, I can see where often it isn't.