Skip to main content

Reply to "College Recruiting Advisers - Good and Bad Experiences"

2019CUBDAD..  I don't know if this thread helped or hurt but opinions definitely are there.  To be clear, from my experience Recruiting websites and "advisers" who do not have broad college coaching relationships are not worth the money.  I agree with several posters above.  However, the recruiting coordinator that i was referring to has relationships with college coaches across the country and has been a valuable resource for my son and many of his teammates.  Dismissing them all as a waste of money I think is a mistake.  Hiring a Coordinator does not mean your son doesn't have to work hard, train, learn how to throw 90, get his SAT scores up, etc.   All that is part of the process.  If its one vs the other, than yeah.. the more training your son does, the better the player he will be and that is money well spent.  No one is disputing that.  But once he is there, what is going to separate him from all the other players that do the same things that your son does?  that sends video and has his travel coach calling on his behalf?  that throws 90 and hits 90?  Recruiting coordinators do ease the communicating with coaches via mailings and video etc.. but that's easy to replicate as many have said above.  Good travel coaches have relationships with many college coaches, but not all.  They do well with college coaches in their area and very likely have a track record placing kids at the area schools.  So if your son wants to play locally, then maybe an RC isn't worth the money.  I will try to give examples of the advantages that teammates of my son received... 2 MIFs went to a local P5 College camp this past winter with a phone call from their travel coach.  SS#1 is the undisputed better player but SS#2, also a good player, is using the RC that i am referring to and SS#1 is not.  The RC called the college coach on behalf of SS#2.  SS#2 got a school tour, attention at camp, meeting with HC and has been in contact with coaches via phone since.  SS#1 nothing at or after the camp.  Fast forward to the summer at 16U WWBA, SS#1 has attracted the attention of local mid-major schools in his area without a RC and received 2 offers.  He's a good player.  But ironically a B12 school that the RC got to a game to watch SS#2 and another client on the team OF#1, offered SS#1 and he accepted after a visit.  SS#2 has several offers but yet to commit.  OF#1 committed to IVY school but also had a P5 offer.  The other top OF on the team received little attention.  Top of the order hitter with power, speed, and a solid defender.  Travel coach reached out to several schools.  Ended up committing to a D3 local school.  Having seen what the RC did for the other OF, i think he could have helped.  Another example is a '19 RHP 88 MPH played on 2 top travel teams.  No scholarship offers until RC got an offer from a Southern Conf mid-major that his travel coach didn't have a relationship with.  He's pumped.  If left to his travel coaches, he would have likely re-classified.  Travel coaches influence the process but their contacts are limited no matter how good a travel team they coach. I am talking about top 25 PG ranked travel teams.   All those players worked hard, had the support of their travel coaches, etc. but the RC definitely helped. He even helped the kid he wasn't representing SS#1.  I would agree that each one of those kids would have received an offer at a school but the RC helped elevate their status and stand out.  BTW The organization i am referring to has recently placed dozens of kids at the top P5 schools.  name them but also are strong with mid-majors and D2, D3 schools.  They also represent several of the top PG ranked players including the top 2020 ranked player in the country.  They are credible and receive requests for players from College coaches all over the country.  He has dozens of requests for players that he is having trouble filling right now.  They don't agree to represent every player either.  The parents and player's goals must match their talent level.  I am not saying that an RC will work for everyone, and all RC are not equal.  but from my experience, the right RC has helped elevate the status of every player that he has represented.