Skip to main content

Reply to "College Recruiting Advisers - Good and Bad Experiences"

2019cubdad posted:

Sorry everyone on vacation. Try to answer some of the questions/comments:

2. Regulation of the practice.  What is meant by this is pretty simple. Just like anyone can't be an agent without MLB licenses, certification and now passing an exam, the same should be in place (in some capacity) for people serving in these roles helping high school players. There is a large amount of cash transactions that are taking place and people are getting screwed. If this is going to happen (and it is) then oversight and rules should be put in place.

3. MLB is simply starting starting with the Top 80 showcase. If anyone doesn't think that this is just the start and they don't want a piece of the Perfect Game action, you are nuts. Take a look at their strategic plan for 10 and 20 years. They want to expand to youth baseball to drive butts to seats for the big leagues.

4. College Coaches use certain trusted advisers more than you think. I know several mid-west and east coaches that use an adviser on the west coast exclusively to determine if they will budget for recruiting travel to the west. There are advisers that are linked to the higher end travel programs to avoid conflict of interest with the club owners who may have an affiliation with MLB or the NCAA.

2). Do you really want the NCAA to regulate something else? As if they don't already have enough control over the players. MLB has that rule in place as they need to be able to negotiate MLB contracts and contact MLB ball clubs. I don't believe for a second that advisors are negotiating D2 offers. People aren't getting screwed, there is no guarantee they will be placed. 

3). The top 80 isn't taking away from PG. They will make more money in 2019 and 2020 than they ever have. 

4). I don't know how many, if any, advisors are linked to top travel programs. The players on these teams are some of the best in the country. They don't need advisors to get them college offers. Part of being a top program is having established connections. I don't believe Team Elite, Canes, East Cobb are paying advisors to get kids throwing 95 into SEC schools. I'm sure they have a network of guys that help them out, but I don't buy for a second that they have scouts on retainer charging placing fees. 

If you want to say that recruiting services are a sham to some degree I can get behind that. But none of this seems to fit with the original point.