Skip to main content

Reply to "college recruiting"

quote:
there is a lot wrong with a parent picking up the phone to call a coach and ask what the offer is without an offer

I think a lot depends on the situation, the college, the coach, the level of recruitment, and the parent. First I’m the type of person that doesn’t conform to protocol (if there is such a thing in recruiting) and if I want an answer I will pick up the phone and make the call. At the same time I admit I would be a little less aggressive if my son wasn’t listed as one of the top players in the state at the time. I remember while my son was being recruited an offer was made with a deadline of the following week. I called some of the other schools that were actively recruiting my son, explained the situation and asked them where they stood. I did ask some if they were prepared to make an offer. Some said yes and we discussed offers while others said they had not made a decision at this time. TPM, while I’m not familiar with A-B-C type of recruits, I sure wouldn’t argue that that isn’t true. I do know that a particular player can be different things to different colleges so it does make sense but I just never heard of it. I think bleacherfan’s experience is a fairly common practice during the recruiting cycle. If we stop to think about it the NLI is there as a stop gap to end all the shifting and position changes that historically takes place during recruitment. I think this recruiting ride makes many people realize that recruiting is a business and the coaches are businessmen and they do jockey for position and there is no harm in jumping in the mix with them. These scenarios will surely educate the first timer and as bleacher fan says ” This process would be better done a second or third time through! This first time is hard, hard, hard.