Skip to main content

Reply to "college recruiting"

Fungo,
Trust me on the A,B,C thing.
I didn't say calling a coach to ask about a commitment is wrong, but I think that it should be done between the recruit and the coach. If a parent has a question afterwards, no problem. No coach that ever called discussed offers with us, only son. JMO.

Midlo Dad,
I am in agreement with you, how you are treated during recruiting can be a good indication of what's ahead when you come to the program.
It's a good indication to move on.

Bully'smom,
It's ok to disagree, but hearing, you are our number 1 recruit, does not mean offer. You are correct, didn't experience what you did, you can take my posts for whichever way you want. We had our own experiences, a school calling every week all summer long, telling son how much they wanted him and needed him, asking son not to committ to anyone until he visited the school, which was to be in mid October, then calling to say they didn't want him to visit, they had a high profile player who demanded a lot of money, he could still come for blah, blah. Wait, I thought you said you needed him badly!?! All recruits have stories. What if that had been his dream school, or he listened and got a call a week before that they had no money left. BTW, that coach and his recruiting coach were fired the next year, so I wasn't wrong in telling son I didn't like their approach. Learn to trust your instincts.

Nothing is a deal until the offer comes and one signs.

PG gives great advice. When seeking advice, think of who you are asking and if they might benefit from that advice. My advice or anyone else's here may not be what is always right for others, but we have absolutely nothing to gain from the advice. In my case, it's been there done that.
Last edited by TPM