Skip to main content

Reply to "college recruiting"

quote:
I didn't say calling a coach to ask about a commitment is wrong, but I think that it should be done between the recruit and the coach. If a parent has a question afterwards, no problem. No coach that ever called discussed offers with us, only son.

We have to agree to disagree on this point. Generally speaking what you say is correct but there are exceptions. Initially I felt players should handle all communications but during the recruitment of my son the University of Tennessee recruiting coordinator, Randy Mazey, asked my son if we had saved enough money for his college education. My son put down the phone asked me that question. At that point I picked up the phone and decided I needed to get involved in the financial aspect of the recruitment of my son. Parental involvement in recruiting is a personal thing and as I indicated in my previous post the intensity of the recruiting can dictate whether the parent should get involved. There is no way my son could have handled all the college and professional activity and maintained any focus on his baseball. I actually had to call one scout and tell him to cease talking to my son and talk directly to me because of his constant badgering about pro vs. college. Knowing what my son had to put up with, it would be impossible for a first rounder to personally handle all the communications with college and pros scouts.