Skip to main content

Reply to "College Representative Fail"

mdschert posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

There is a new politically correct push out there.  Here is an excerpt from a recent article:

"On the Universal College Application, which can be sent to 44 colleges, the question asking for an applicant’s “sex” will be updated to ask for “legal sex,” with the options being “male” or “female.” Applicants will also have the option of answering an additional question on gender identity, with the options being “male,” “female,” or “self-identify,” for which an open text field will be provided."

Full article: http://www.takepart.com/articl...r-identity-questions

If there was a box for Male or Female and then the box asking about if he identified with LGBTQ this may have been the reason. 

Here is another article detailing a list of schools who specifically ask the question (MIT and Purdue are on this list, so it isn't just small colleges doing this):

https://www.campuspride.org/tp...stions-as-an-option/

Thanks CaCO3Girl, a college listed in the second article was the one represented at my son's school.  Seems awkward to me for a college to ask about sex of an inquiring student.  Well it back fired with my son, he wants nothing to do with the college now.  I wonder if it turns away more potential students than intended to bring in?   They must do this to look hip and progressive from marketing standpoint.  Last I studied the LGBTQ community represents only 3% of the population, seems ridiculous to risk losing potential students.

My guess is that schools who ask questions about gender and gender identity in an effort to be as accepting as possible of LGBTQ students and their issues are probably OK with losing out on students who would be offended by being asked the question.

There are some very good schools listed in that second link. If my son were committed to writing off Duke or Dartmouth just to avoid checking the hetero-male box on a questionnaire (or even just because an openly gay person was the one asking him to fill out the form), I might be questioning his decision making process.