Skip to main content

Reply to "College Representative Fail"

old_school posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:

In this case, the 16yo boy should not make a determination of "comfort level" based on the one interaction.  What if he visits campus and the first girl he sees in kind of plain - does he then write off the school because the girls are not pretty enough?

first impressions are kind of important, yes I think the son could strike the college very easily as place not worth the time investment for him. There thousands of schools out there and I am sure he will be able to find one that treats him extremely well.

OP referenced Dartmouth (no doubt great school) but maybe it is wrong for him regardless of the great school, maybe he would be a better fit at Notre Dame or Georgetown (or one of many others) where he finds somewhat different environment...again the beauty of the PC community is it only extends one way!!

As another poster once wrote - WOW!  The kid picks out a school that interests him (presumably both academically and baseball wise) and you are suggesting that this first impression (whether you were referring to the high school experience or "plain girl sighting" I'm not exactly sure) should sway his decision 'cause there's lots of other good schools out there!  What if....his experience at the high school is in fact a "fluke" and it in no way represents the experience he would have at that school  Just because the kid is juiced on testosterone and got the "willys" after meeting with the guy is enough justification to write off the school?  In my book, that is not the smart move.  There may be lots of reasons the school is not a perfect fit or even a decent fit, but that one encounter, when viewed by a mature adult, is certainly not significant enough not to pursue any further.  Maybe we ought to stop saying "Go where they love you" and come up with something a little less provocative - so as not to freak out too many more 16 yo boys.