Skip to main content

Reply to "College Representative Fail"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Then when a 16 year old decided he doesn't like how a school represented itself and would prefer to look at one of the other thousand schools available to him you say dad should step in. Sit him down, order him to rethink etc.  guidance is always good for our kids.

In other words, turn your 16 yo loose and ask him nicely to report back when he gets finished with some minor details of where he is attending on how it is getting paid for.  Maybe have an interesting talk by the fire his junior year about how he whittled down his thousands of choices to this one and sit back, warm your feet by the fire and congratulate him on a job well done.  

I must have a defective child cause that would not work in our household.  Kind of like when he burns popcorn in the microwave.  Directions say heat on high for 3-5 minutes - depending on wattage.  Kid sticks in in for 5 minutes and seems baffled as to why its burnt.  I'm not going to start cooking his popcorn, but I'll take this opportunity to explain the directions and let him know he's dealing with some higher wattages.  Better that than him going around the rest of his life saying that microwave burnt everything he put in it.

On a serous note, no kid realistically starts out with 1,000 college options.  For various reasons - excluding baseball - that number is probably no bigger than 100 max.  Throw in some baseball and the number maybe drops to 10 once things get serious.  Would hate to cross off one of those possible 10 on day one cause some guy is wearing too much jewelry.  If you don't think that is a reasonable piece of guidance to offer your son, then by all means let him decide.  I would think it would be a valuable piece of guidance.

If you read again I think you will find that my point was tongue in cheek because ao many of us have been told so many times to backmoutmof our kids decisions. I very clearly state that parental advice is a good thing. However you are ignoring the fact that maybe the parents agree!  And it's not for any of us to say where this kid should feel comfortable!  And I simply 100% disagree that your choices are as limited as you think.  True I suppose if you were the absolute lowest of the low ability wise and you insist on playing baseball somewhere. And I don't know how much more clear I can be on this but YES if he is down to 10 and he feels uncomfortable with one he should be down to 9!  I don't know why you would want me to say something different!