Skip to main content

Reply to "College Representative Fail"

bballman posted:

I think asking if you are LBGTQ is beyond asking for gender - M/F. It is asking for your bedroom preferences. In my opinion, that is no one's business. Especially asking that of a 16 year old. 

Of course, these days, male and female seems to be an ambiguous concept. What has happened in our society if we can't even determine between male and female??  And what's with the Q anyway?  I guess it stands for questionable?  Wouldn't the B take care of that?  Man...

i really think all this is being taken too far. Laws being made for less than 3% of the population that may (and does in many cases) offend 97% of the population. I've got nothing against LGBTQ people. What people do in the bedroom is their own business. But, keep it to yourself. I don't feel a need to run around telling everyone I'm heterosexual. If you ask me, having someone fill out a questionnaire asking Name, Adress, Age, Grade and are you LBGTQ is just a little bizarre. Maybe if there were a bunch of other socio economic stuff as well, it might be ok. But, with just that one question with a couple other general things, something else is going on. 

The amount of ignorance in this post...

First off, gender and sex are not the same. Thus, it's not a matter of "telling between male and female" because those are not the be-all and end-all.

And Q stands for queer. That has nothing to do with sex or gender.

Thirdly, bisexuality does not mean "questionable" or "questioning" or anything like that. It means that the person has attraction of some sort to multiple genders.

And you really don't get the idea of how laws need to work. If someone has a problem with laws to protect minorities, they are the problem. 

If you wish, I can get into graphic stories of how I or several of my past partners have been the victims of anti-LGBTQ violence. Then maybe you can see why these laws and an understanding of sexual and gender identity are necessary.