Skip to main content

Reply to "College Scouting of HS Freshman"

Goosegg posted:

So, how do you reconcile the statements of colleges paying "scouts" with this NCAA rule:

"13.1.2.8 Talent Scout. An institution may not pay any costs incurred by an athletics talent scout or a representative of its athletics interests in studying or recruiting prospective student-athletes. An institution may not provide any such person a fee or honorarium and thereby claim the person as a staff member entitled to expense money."

I can see volunteers calling a coach; several here have claimed schools acutally hire scouts.

I have 2 responses to your post:                                                                                       1. I am a volunteer coach and I assist with a lot of things, including scouting.         I am not compensated for what I do.  The vast majority of paid coaches in           college baseball are grossly undercompensated.                                                   2. Why would you care how any college baseball program is getting their               scouting done? How is that any of your concern? You go dig up an NCAA             rule and post it? Like you have uncovered some wrongdoing? Really??                 What a joke!                                                                                                       There is a PGA golf event being televised this weekend. Maybe you can watch real close until you think you see a rules violation. Then call the network and report it!